Baker Academic

Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Thirteen New Year’s Resolutions for 2013

1. Bury the family pet.  I just did this today; figured I’d put it as number one so I’d feel better about how I spent my morning. Fare thee well, Jo Jo the rat!  See you in the Tom Wright version of the New Earth (basically Narnia, by my reading).

2. Finish my series review of Jesus in an Age of Neoliberalism. Now that I’ve completed my interview with James Crossley, I can really hammer him.

3. Finish my book.

4. Finish my essay for JSHJ.

5. Try to use The Jesus Blog for more self-promotion. There have been complaints by our readers that Chris and I don’t talk about our own projects enough.

6. Considerably more David Bowie in my life.

7. Floss more.

8. Re-read Rafael Rodríguez’s book. When I first read it, I was trying to avoid words of Latin origin, so the experience was heavily redacted.

9. Write George R.R. Martin ten more letters demanding that his next book be published yesterday.

10. Read Dunn’s Beginning from Jerusalem. I’m embarrassed to say that I don’t even own it.

11. Tell Chris what I really think of his taste in cigars.  If I have to smoke one more Swisher Sweet…

12. Lead a tour of Turkey and Israel.

13. Invite Jesus Blog readers to participate in a tour of Turkey and Israel.

7 comments:

  1. Joking about self-promotion doesn't disguise the inherent nature of blogging generally (and your blog in particular).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Surely this applies to the Evangelical Textual Criticism blog, too, Peter.

      Delete
  2. Anthony, re: #13: I used to live in Istanbul (1995 and 1996) and have traveled all around Greece and Turkey. I have looked into doing this with students at our college. Perhaps we can collaborate?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like we're getting somewhere. What time of year is best for weather?

      Delete
  3. Criticizing Swisher Sweets is dangerous where I'm from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anthony,

    Late spring and early summer are good times to travel in Turkey. It's cold there this time of year. Over the past few years I have been looking into this and have had some preliminary discussions with Michael Hartwig of Illume (and he was referred to me by Mike Gorman). See here: http://www.travelillume.com/learning/in-house_scholar.html

    Chris

    ReplyDelete