Baker Academic

Friday, September 23, 2016

Continuing Inter-religious Dialogue

Larry Behrendt reviews Near Christianity: How Journeys along Jewish-Christian Borders Saved my Faith in God. Larry was an important conversation partner for me as I wrote this book so his review reveals a few longer dialogues between us. I continue the conversation in a guest post.

Larry and I are both committed to inviting more (and more diverse) voices to the table of Jewish-Christian dialogue. Do please take this as an invitation to visit Jewish Christian Intersections and comment as often as you will. We believe that this is an important practice and that it can impact larger multicultural relationships.


-anthony

3 comments:

  1. Gene Stecher
    Chambersburg, Pa.

    Help me (and interested others)to understand why there there is something called a "Jewish-Christian dialogue," as if differences require resolution rather than acceptance. I've heard the matter put that way ever since my college days in the 60's. It implies that someone must change, must add or subtract from their current belief-set and practice. I think that a far more helpful view is "Jewish Christian sharing" or on a broader scale of inclusion "Diversity sharing." No one needs to change, only to enjoy each other, the commonalities and the differences, two friends interested in everything about one another, grounded in the same humanity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gene, I think that relationship building carries the possibility for transformation.

      -anthony

      Delete
  2. Gene Stecher
    Chambersburg, Pa.

    I agree Anthony, but I'm thinking that no transformation beyond acceptance is required. What sort of transformation did you have in mind? By the way, just got notice to expect arrival of your Near Christianity book on Oct. 7.

    ReplyDelete