Baker Academic

Friday, May 23, 2014

Jesus' as Teacher of Happiness

The ever-impressive Luke Timothy Johnson explores Matthew's portrait of Jesus as teacher in this lecture. LTJ sets Jesus' view of happiness in conversation with other ancient philosophers.


I'd love to hear what students of ancient philosophy think about his assessment of Aristotle, Epicurus, Epictetus. Does LTJ get their view of happiness right? And would elements of Jesus' sermon on the mount seem vulgar to them, as LTJ claims?

I would have liked to hear him bring Theodorus the Atheist into this discussion.

-anthony

p.s. My thanks to Jeff Peterson for pointing me to this lecture.

3 comments:

  1. I saw this a while back when Brian posted it on Near Emmaus (RIP). I loved the lecture, but it seems like the whole discussion rests on the translation of makarios as "happy," no?

    ReplyDelete
  2. LTJ has a series of 24 lectures on the Greco-Roman moralists, often on sale for about $30. http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=4473

    ReplyDelete
  3. My take:http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NjLQpX7wVb8&list=PL0B58AB39400D982E

    Part of my intro to Philosophy class. Looking forward to hearing LTJ's take.

    ReplyDelete